Article Text

PDF
CP-241 Involvement of multidrug resistant flora in invasive infections
  1. OL Filip1,
  2. D Calina2,
  3. E Gofita3,
  4. O Rogoveanu4,
  5. L Rosu5,
  6. AF Rosu6,
  7. R Velea7,
  8. A Turcu8,
  9. P Mitrut4,
  10. A Docea3
  1. 1University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Craiova, Romania
  2. 2University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy, Craiova, Romania
  3. 3University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Toxicology, Craiova, Romania
  4. 4University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Craiova, Romania
  5. 5University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Microbiology, Craiova, Romania
  6. 6University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Clinical Emergency Hospital, Craiova, Romania
  7. 7University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Department of functional sciences, Craiova, Romania
  8. 8University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical marketing, Craiova, Romania

Abstract

Background The incidence of sepsis and the prevalence of antibiotic resistance of the causative microorganisms are continuously increasing.

Purpose Determination of bacterial aetiology and antibiotic resistance of microorganisms isolated from blood cultures.

Material and methods From 133 patients admitted to wards in the Clinical County Emergency Hospital of Craiova for a period of 3 months, 153 blood cultures were collected. They were incubated using Bactec BD and positive results were subjected to microbiological diagnosis using Phoenix BD analyser.

Results Of the 133 patients tested, 46 (34.59%) had blood cultures positive and 87 (65.41%) negative. With reference to the number of blood cultures, germs were isolated from 47 (30.72%) cultures and the remaining 106 were negative (69.28%). Isolated bacterial species were Enterobacteriaceae (3.92%), Acinetobacter spp (3.27%), Pseudomonas spp (1.96%), Staphylococcus aureus (11.11%), coagulase negative staphylococci (9.15%), Enterococcus spp (65%) and anaerobic bacteria (0.65%). Antibiotic susceptibility testing revealed that Staphylococcus aureus strains, including 73.33% MRSA, were 100% resistant to erythromycin, 85.7% to cefazolin, 63.6% to rifampicin, 61.5% to tetracycline and 57.1% to gentamicin and tetracycline. Coagulase negative staphylococci were resistant to oxacillin (83.3%), erythromycin (75%), cefazolin (66.7%), tetracycline (58.3%) and norfloxacin (55.6%).

All strains of staphylococci were susceptible to vancomycin. Enterobacteriaceae were completely resistant to ampicillin, ceforoxim, cefepime, ceftriaxone, 80% resistant to piperacillin/tazobactam, nitrofuratoin and 60% to ceftazidime and ertapenem. ESBL phenotype was identified in 50% of Enterobacteriaceae isolated and CPE in 34.52%. Pseudomonas aeruginosa was 100% resistant to most antibiotics except colistin and amikacin. Non-fermenters gram negative bacilli were 100% resistant to imipenem and meropenem, 87.5% to ceftazidime, 85.7% to ciprofloxacin, ceftriaxone and cefepime, and 71.4% to gentamicin.

Conclusion The most common pathogen from blood cultures was Staphylococcus aureus, which had multiple antibiotic resistances, making the management of these invasive infections difficult.

No conflict of interest

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.