Article Text

PDF
CP-192 Assessment of medical computerised prescriptions in geriatrics using stopp/start criteria
  1. M Savelli1,
  2. M Chermette1,
  3. M Bues-Charbit1,
  4. PM Rossi2
  1. 1Hospital Nord, Service Pharmacie, Marseille, France
  2. 2Hospital Nord, Service de Médecine Gériatrique, Marseille, France

Abstract

Background STOPP/START is recognised as a simple and efficient tool for detecting potentially inappropriate drug prescriptions (PIP) in persons aged 65 or older. In our hospital, no screening tool allows us to detect these prescriptions.

Purpose The purpose of this study was to estimate the quality of the drug prescriptions given to patients admitted to the geriatric department. It also analysed the prescriptions to ensure patients were given a safe prescription that complied with current recommendations when they were discharged.

Material and methods Between June and August 2016, patients included were at least 65 years old, with multiple pathologies, and hospitalised in the geriatric department of a university hospital centre. Patients were excluded if they did not have a personal treatment when they were admitted to the service. When the patient was admitted, a prescription analysis was made using 115 STOPP/START criteria and clinical/biological data extracted from the electronic patient record (Axigate). When a drug was not in accordance with the recommendations, a pharmaceutical opinion (PO) was written on computerised prescriptions from PHARMA software to alert the prescriber and to suggest an alternative medication. Other prescription errors were also reported: patient weight not specified, contraindications and poor transcription of the patient’s personal medication. When the patient was discharged, the prescription was analysed a second time to evaluate the appropriateness of the drugs prescribed.

Results 127 patients were included in the study. 57 prescriptions needed one or more POs, and a total of 76 POs were written. 53 POs (70%) corresponded to non-compliances related to the prescription. 32 were addressed and rectified by the prescriber. The remaining 23 POs (30%) dealt with products from the STOPP/START list. Prescribers re-evaluated and adapted treatment in 48% of cases, representing 11 of the 23 POs. The STOPP/START tool detected PIP in 11 patients and enabled treatment optimisations. Finally, 60% of POs were reassessed and modified by prescribers. Of the 127 patients included, 104 (82%) left the hospital with an appropriate prescription.

Conclusion The use of the STOPP/START tool allowed quick and easy optimisation of the prescriptions for a significant number of patients. The detection of PIP avoided the occurrence of side effects in older people.

References and/or acknowledgements STOPP/START.

v2 criteria: PO Lang

No conflict of interest

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.