Article Text

Download PDFPDF
2SPD-030 Drug shortage impact on patient care: an increasing healthcare problem
  1. S Hernández-Navarro,
  2. V Bosó-Ribelles,
  3. E Romá-Sánchez,
  4. E Zamora-Ferrer,
  5. MJ Ruiz-Caldes,
  6. J García-Pellicer,
  7. JL Poveda-Andrés
  1. Hospital Universitari I Politècnic la Fe, Pharmacy, Valencia, Spain


Background Drug shortages are increasing worldwide. Hospital pharmacists manage to minimise their impact on patient care but, despite this, shortages are becoming a public health problem.

Purpose To assess the current situation of drug shortages in a tertiary hospital and the actions proposed to reduce their impact on patients.

Material and methods This is an observational prospective study (February to July 2017). Affected drug, supply disruption/shortage duration, manner in which it was notified to the pharmacy and solution given by the pharmacy were recorded.

Results During the 6 months of study, 128 drug shortages were recorded by the hospital pharmacy (0.97 drug shortages per working day). Twenty-five per cent were notified by healthcare authorities, 25% by the manufacturer and 50% were detected by pharmacists when claiming a delayed order to the supplier. Nineteen per cent of the shortages affected antimicrobials, 18% nervous system drugs, 11% antineoplastics, 9% alimentary tract drugs, 9% ophthalmic drugs, 8% cardiovascular drugs and 26% others.

While in 47% of cases the pharmacy stock was enough to cover patients’ needs during the supply disruption, in 53% of the cases, alternatives had to be located. In this last group, in 77% of the cases an alternative product with the same active substance was found (23% same active drug but different pharmaceutical form, 25% labelling in foreign language that needed further repacking), in 20% the alternative was a different drug with similar indications (detailed information was given to prescribers) and in 3% of the cases compounding was necessary.

73.5% of the shortages solved during the period of study, here the median duration was 19 days (IQR: 7.3–35.3 days). On the other hand, 26.5% remained unresolved when this study finished (median duration of 59 days (IQR: 33–101 days)).

Conclusion In this study, drug shortages were frequent and not always adequately communicated. Although, in most cases the shortage was solved with a product with the same active substance, in a not insignificant percentage of the cases, a different drug was necessary. This is important when considering the most frequent groups of drugs affected (antimicrobials, nervous system, antineoplastics) and the potential implications of a drug change for the patient.

Reference and/or Acknowledgements 1. Drugs. 2016;76:1551–8.

No conflict of interest

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.