Article Text

Download PDFPDF

4CPS-179 Description and follow-up of the use of emtricitabin/tenofovir for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis
  1. I Beristain Aramendi,
  2. A Ros,
  3. J Boo,
  4. T González,
  5. J Landa,
  6. A Arruti,
  7. MP Bachiller,
  8. MJ Gayán
  1. Hospital Universitario Donostia, Hospital Pharmacy Service, Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipuzcoa, Basque Country, Spain


Background and importance The Spanish National Health System agreed to finance emtricitacin/tenofovir (FTC/TDF) in November 2019 with an indication of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) as an HIV prevention measure. PrEP consists of taking one FTC/TDF tablet daily. The role of hospital pharmacist in the treatment of HIV-negative individuals is to follow up by monitoring adherence, interactions and reasons for discontinuation of treatment.

Aim and objectives To describe the use of FTC/TDF for PrEP in a tertiary hospital and follow-up of candidate HIV-negative individuals from the start of therapy.

Material and methods Retrospective, observational and Hospital ID Clinic study including all non-infected individuals who started treatment from December 2019 to April 2021.

Variables analysed: age, sex, risk behaviours, persistence, treatment duration, treatment withdrawal reason, adherence (adherent if ≥95%) and reasons for low adherence.

Data were obtained from the electronic medical records and outpatient dispensing module.

Results Eighty-eight HIV-negative individuals were included, 98% (86/88) were men, all of them being men practising sex with men (MSM). The mean age was 40±9 years.

Persistence to treatment (mean persistence = 6 months) was 91% (80/88). The remaining 9% (8/88) abandoned the treatment. The reasons for dropping out were: 4/8 adverse reactions (AR) (3 gastrointestinal complaints and 1 renal toxicity), 1/8 absence of risky sexual practices (= stable partner), 1/8 lockdown and 2/8 unidentified due to lack of follow-up.

82% of the non-infected people were adherent to treatment, being the mean adherence to treatment 95%. The mean adherence of the individuals considered non-adherent was 76%. The reasons for poor adherence were: 3/14 gastrointestinal AR (flatulence and abdominal pain), 1/14 absence of risky sexual relations, 1/14 lockdown and 9/14 unidentified due to lack of follow-up.

Conclusion and relevance The main profile of HIV-negative individuals in treatment with PrEP is MSM.

In general, both persistence and adherence to treatment were good. However, considering the short duration of treatment, a long-term study should be performed.

Results show that the most frequent reasons for treatment withdrawal and low adherence are AR.

Conflict of interest No conflict of interest

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.