Article Text

Download PDFPDF

4CPS-165 Adaptation of marketed parenteral nutrition to the needs of a hospital
  1. C Fraile Rodriguez,
  2. S González Martínez,
  3. N De Amuriza Chicharro,
  4. E Bartolome García,
  5. A Delgado Latorre,
  6. MA García Del Barrio
  1. Clinica Universidad De Navarra, Pharmacy, Madrid, Spain


Background and Importance More and more hospitals are using commercially available parenteral nutrition for their patients, and there is an increasing supply to try to cover energy, protein and electrolyte needs.

Aim and Objectives To analyse the adequacy of commercially available parenteral nutrition to the energy and protein needs of our patients.

Material and Methods Retrospective observational study of patients receiving parenteral nutrition support from January to September 2022.

Demographic characteristics (sex, age), anthropometric data (weight, height, body mass index), energy and protein requirements, type of commercialised nutrition were collected

Energy requirements were adequate if the calories administered met at least 75% of the total requirements.

Protein requirements were considered optimal if they had a normo or hyperproteic diet and were determined not to be optimal if they were hypoproteic or excessive.

Four levels of protein intake were determined: low protein, less than 1g protein/kg, normal protein, between 1–1.2 gr/kg, high protein between 1.3 and 1.7, and excessive if it was higher than 1.7.

Results A total of 71 nutritional supports were performed corresponding to 68 patients, 36 women (50.7%), with a mean age of 70.9 years (SD=15.7 years).

The mean anthropometry was 66.6 kg (SD=18.96 kg), 165.4 cm (SD=17.6 cm) and a mean body mass index of 24 (SD=6.6).

The mean energy requirements were 1353 Kcals (SD=223Kcals) for basal energy expenditure and 1761 Kcals (SD=223Kcals) for total energy expenditure with a mean stress factor of 30%.

The mean duration of nutritional support was 8.9 days (SD=8.13 days).

The 53.42% of the patients (n=38) met the energy requirements, of the remaining 46.58% (n=33), 8 were on peripheral parenteral nutrition and 5 on supplementary parenteral nutrition.

In 21 of the 33 patients, the speed had to be adapted because they did not meet the energy requirements with the available nutrition.

The 46.48% (n=33) didn`t meet the protein requirements, 19 due to low protein intake and 14 due to excessive protein intake, 53.52% (n=38) did meet the protein requirements, with 23 patients presenting a hyperproteinic intake and 15 patients with a normal protein intake.

Conclusion and Relevance It would be necessary to have a wider variety of commercially available nutritional products in order to meet both the caloric and protein needs of our patients.

Conflict of Interest No conflict of interest

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.